When Facebook originally came out as a college-based social network, I don't think anyone realized the empire that it would later become. Facebook is now open to anyone who wants to have a profile and its uses have exploded to things like a Marketplace to sell goods/services, a Job Board for employers, Advertisement opportunities for business of all shapes and sizes, in addition to its original purpose; a social network.
So it suffices to say that with a group of users that outnumbers the entire population of the United States, you're going to be dealing with a variety of people and issues. I've put together a list of my thoughts on Facebook and would love to get your opinion.
Facebook should be a positive thing.
It is not a personal diary and shouldn't be treated as such. If you and your husband got in a fight last night, keep it within the walls of your home. You're embarrassing yourself and your family by publishing it. Beyond that, keep the cursing to a minimum; it makes you look ignorant. An occasional 'blip' is funny; an F-bomb on every status update is not.
There should be a mandatory Facebook tutorial for all new users.
This would help in SO many ways! Not only would people be able to fully utilize the benefits of Facebook, but they wouldn't annoy people by posting their comments in the wrong places. This tutorial should also discuss the topic of spamming and that not everything you see is real nor is it safe. Your Aunt Betty would not send you a link asking you to check out her web cam; we hope.
Think before you post.
It is lame and ridiculous to say "I HATE MY LIFE" on your Facebook status but refuse to elaborate because you don't want to talk about it. Facebook is not meant to be private and it wouldn't be called a social network if it was. Use some discretion when putting information, pictures, and status updates on your profile. You can expect that everyone you know will see what you post (including your boss and your Grandmother). If you keep it clean and positive, you shouldn't have a problem. For information on keeping your account clean and positive, please reread this blog post.
I would love to hear your thoughts on Facebook!
I have another "point" for you, or whatever you wanna call it. You're on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, whatever because it IS a social network. So if you friend someone, expect them to possibly post something on your wall every now and then. Don't get ticked off because they say something to you just because you want to be a private person. I'm saying this because I was friends with someone on there because we had been talking occasionally in person. When I posted a congratulations about her being pregnant, she flipped out! She told a friend (my coworker) that the only reason she got on there was to get back in contact with some college friends. Well, why'd you accept my "friend" in the first place?! It was so ridiculous!
ReplyDeleteOh, and another point...I hate when people accept/ask for friends just to get as many as they can. They don't actually talk to them. They just want all the friends.
ReplyDeleteI think this all goes back to the 'tutorial' that I mentioned. LOL! I agree with you, completely.
ReplyDeleteHey! Glad I found your blog! I feel Facebook is a great way to social network, more or less, to keep up with friends that live/moved far away. I love seeing all the pictures people put up and where they are in their lives, but I don't like all the applications on there. Too many third-party cookie monsters if I want to take a stupid quiz that tells me what type of sundae I am, ya know?
ReplyDeleteAll-in-all, it keeps me up-to-date on my friends, family and city.
Hey Mel! I agree, I think that FB is a great way to keep up with friends/family and it has created a whole new definition of a 'photo album'. I just wish that people would use common sense, ya know? I didn't even think to write about the stupid quizzes; not to mention FARMVILLE!
ReplyDelete