Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sony Update

I have a funny feeling that none of you really care about my sick cat - FOR SHAME! (just kidding.... I just don't have much else to write about and, well, I care about this so you're stuck with it)

The bad news: So the verdict is that Sony has a severe bacterial infection and inflammation in both of his ears... sad! He's been so uncomfortable! The vet gave him an injected antibiotic and sent me home with a prescription ear cleaner and steroids for the inflammation. I hate the steroids. They're in pill form and I have to, literally, force him to eat them. He doesn't like the salmon-flavored pill pockets that they sent me home with so we're doing things the old fashioned way. It really isn't fun for either of us. We go back on March 10th for a follow up so I hope for a clean bill of health. He also got his rabies vaccine and will get his distemper (sp) on the 10th - I was a little behind.

The good news: He was a CHAMP! The car ride was the worst part. He cried the whole way there - all 3 miles of the drive. When we got to the vet, he was excited! He loved the doctor and she loved him! He didn't even flinch with his shots and the worst part was the ear culture and the first steroid pill. Even after that, he loved on me and the doctor like we were his buddies even though we were torturing him. We gave him several breaks and he loved checking out the room and rolling on the super cold tile floor. He looked like a kid at the park! When we got home, he fell right back in to his normal routine as if nothing happened. He actually seems a lot better as of last night. He's eating better and is less lethargic.

p.s. - He officially weighs 17.6 pounds. Less than I thought but still friggin big for a cat. The vet said, "between his size and his actions, you'd think he was a small dog!"

2 comments:

  1. I care Sam! Very happy that Sony is doing better. Can you put his pill in and pill crusher and give it to him in wet cat food? I know I grind Gab's Glucosamine and asprins and serve it to him in his wet food, with no problem. Good luck and keep us informed on his development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, technically I could put the pill in his food (which would be the easiest thing to do) but he shares his food bowl with Bose so I wouldn't want the little one to eat the pill accidentally. I don't even try to get them to eat separately because they'll just put their heads together in the same bowl, anyway. Haha!

    ReplyDelete