Friday, April 15, 2011

Gym Etiquette 101



Preface: I don't work out as much as I should but I go to the gym enough to notice a few things that people should really stop doing. Seriously.

1) Talking on Cell Phones: For the short amount of time that you're in the gym, please leave your cell phone in your car or in a gym locker. It is really distracting to other people when they have to hear your conversation with your BFF about the great shoes you saw on sale at Kohl's. Not to mention - you aren't seriously working out if you can have a normal conversation on the phone with someone. Please vacate the machine and give it to someone that actually wants to sweat a little.

2) Grunting Like a Farm Animal: We know you have big muscles. We know that you're REALLY FOCUSED on getting that last rep in. We know that you obviously have something to prove but hearing your loud, obnoxious grunts makes everyone in the gym uncomfortable. You're bringing negative attention to yourself and, much like the cell phone talkers, distracting those people trying to focus on getting a good workout. Please shut up. Perhaps you should considering turning down the volume on your iPod so you can actually hear yourself - it's embarrassing.

3) Dropping Weights: I know that you worked really hard for that last rep (I heard you grunting like a goat) but PLEASE don't drop the weight down like it's on fire! The sound, literally, jolts everyone working out. In all seriousness, you could hurt someone if your obnoxious THUD scares someone that is working out in a precarious position (i.e. - bench presses).

4) Clean your Machine: Most gyms provide cleaning spray and/or wipes to clean off machines. When you're done sweating all over the elliptical, please wipe it down. I'm not accusing you of being a dirty person. I'm not accusing you of having any infectious diseases. I'm simply saying that I don't know you and it would make me more comfortable if you would clean up after yourself. I don't want to come in contact with your bodily fluids just like any other random stranger that I might see on the street. MMkay?

5) Be Nice: We are all in the gym for the same reason. We want to get in, get a good workout, and go home. For some people (like me), the gym already has a negative connotation because people don't like working out. Don't make it worse for them by being a jerk. Share your machine. Don't go over 20 minutes on the cardio machines if people are waiting. Don't stare like a monkey. Don't give dirty looks and PLEASE follow the rules listed above.

Thank you for listening.

3 comments:

  1. As for the cell phone thing...when I was going to the gym, they actually didn't allow cell phones. They also encouraged not even having them in the locker rooms. And I agree with the wiping down of the equipment. I'm ashamed to say that my own husband didn't do that, but I would always go behind him and clean his machine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gym doesn't allow cell phones either; however, I live in an apartment complex with a small gym that I use occasionally if I'm short on time. There are always people in there just chatting away. Drives me crazy! There is also a little scrawny dude that is notorious for dropping weights. Grr!

    ReplyDelete