Friday, March 25, 2011

DISC Assessment

This week I was busy with our annual department meeting here in Alexandria. It was great seeing everyone and the content was definitely valuable - but it was exhausting! I'm very, very thankful that it is Friday.

Prior to the meeting, everyone did a DISC assessment which is basically a fancy name for a personality test. The test was supposed to help not only figure out where YOU fit on the scale, but figure out how to communicate with people who are much different from you. All in all it was pretty interesting. While the reports we each received were somewhat full of rhetoric, it was mostly dead on.. did I just contradict myself? Oh well..

So DISC is an acronym for Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Compliance - 4 different personality types. Here are some descriptions for you:

D - Dominance reflects how a person responds to problems. D's are usually results oriented, competitive, direct, independent, and extroverted. Leaders are typically D's and I can tell you, it is a very easy personality to pin point.

I - Influencing reflects how a person influences others to their view. Influencers are typically expressive, trusting, stimulating, persuasive, talkative, and extroverted. If you haven't already guessed, this is MY category :)

S - Steadiness reflects how a person responds to the pace of their environment. These folks are usually reliable, methodical, modest, cooperative, loyal, and relatively introverted. Most health care professionals fit in this category.

C - Compliance reflects how a person responds to the rules and procedures. These people are usually careful, deliberate, conservative, self-controlled, skeptical, and very introverted. My boss actually fits in this category which was really interesting to figure out.

The entire report was 52 pages so I won't go in to much more detail but I'm curious - where do YOU fit?!

No comments:

Post a Comment