Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Moving on...

I have lived in Northern Virginia for the past 4.5 years and Jeff has lived here for the last 20 or so. Moving to NOVA was probably one of the best things that could have happened to me at the time. I didn't know it then, but NOVA would bring me a great job, my college degree, and, most importantly, my husband!

With all of these things in mind, we feel like now is a great time to move on. While Fairfax has offered me some great things, it comes with some challenges. The cost of living in the area is astronomical. The traffic is outrageous. My commute is 60 miles/day or 3 hours round-trip (I have to fill up my car with gas 3-4 times/week at $40 each fill-up). Beyond that, the people are just not very friendly! After growing up in Madison, I'm used to waving at folks as they drive past you on 2-lane roads and making small talk with the lady working the counter at the post office... Not here! Waving at someone while you're in the car could easily be misconstrued for flipping them the bird and making small talk with ANYONE is just going to slow down the person behind you and end up in an argument. Yuck.

So, Jeff and I have decided to relocate and we're looking very seriously at the Charlotte, NC area. It has the convenience of Northern Virginia with the hospitality and cost of living of a small, country town. Jeff has visited this city numerous times and I've been there once and we both LOVE it. With any luck, Jeff would be able to transfer to another Marriott hotel in the Charlotte area and I (cross your fingers) will be able to keep my current job and work from home - did you hear that?? WORK FROM HOME!!! Music to my ears :)

The down side: I'm going to miss my family and friends. I've lived in VA my whole life. It is going to be very difficult to be several hours away from the closest relative. This, to me, will be the biggest adjustment and, also, the biggest challenge. However, I've had the opportunity to talk to a few of my friends that have been through similar situations and they have provided me with some words of wisdom and encouragement. At this point in my life, my main focus is building a life with Jeff. By moving away, I can only hope that we will build our relationship together. I guess only time will tell....

p.s. - Thanks to Ashley H for getting me motivated to write today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment